Redwood County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Redwood County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on November 4, 1862 (Organized in 1865) from Brown County. The county was named for the Redwood River. Redwood is the translation of the Dakota name "Chanshayapi". Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Redwood County Cities and Towns include Belview, Clements, Delhi, Gilfillan, Lamberton, Lucan, Milroy, Morgan, Redwood Falls, Revere, Sanborn, Seaforth, Vesta, Wabasso, Walnut Grove, Wanda.
Redwood County Townships include Brookville, Charlestown, Delhi, Gales, Granite Rock, Honner, Johnsonville, Kintire, Lamberton, Morgan, New Avon, North Hero, Paxton, Redwood Falls, Sheridan, Sherman, Springdale, Sundown, Swedes Forest, Three Lakes, Underwood, Vail, Vesta, Waterbury, Westline, Willow Lake Townships.
A Map of Redwood County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Redwood County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Redwood County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Redwood county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Redwood County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1864 / 1869 - It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar's office of the county where the birth or death took place. You may go to a registrar's office in any county in Minnesota for births that took place during of after 1900 and for deaths that took place during or after 1997, Marriage Records from 1865 and Land Records from 1865. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Redwood County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1877 and Court Records from 1868. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Redwood County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Redwood County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Redwood County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Redwood County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Redwood County Historical Society
- Redwood County Genealogical Society
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum
- Lucan Historical Society Depot Museum, PO Box 51, 406 1st St, Lucan, MN, 56255; (507) 747-2598
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Redwood County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Redwood County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum