Mower County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Mower County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1855 (Organized in 1856) from Rice County. The county was named in honor of John Edward Mower (1815–1879), member of the council in the territorial legislature, 1854-55; state representative, 1874-75. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Mower County is bordered by Dodge County (north), Olmsted County (northeast), Fillmore County (east), Howard County, Iowa (southeast), Mitchell County, Iowa (south), Worth County, Iowa (southwest), Freeborn County (west).
Mower County Cities and Towns include Adams, Austin (the county seat), Brownsdale, Dexter, Elkton, Grand Meadow, Le Roy, Lyle, Mapleview, Racine, Rose Creek, Sargeant, Taopi, Waltham.
Mower County Townships include Udolpho, Waltham, Sargeant, Pleasant Valley, Racine, Lansing, Red Rock, Dexter, Grand Meadow, Frankford, Austin, Windom, Marshall, Clayton, Bennington, Lyle, Nevada, Adams, Lodi and Le Roy Townships.
A Map of Mower County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mower County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Mower County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mower county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Mower County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1870 and Land Records from 1856. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Mower County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1877 and Court Records from 1858. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Mower County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Mower County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mower County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Mower County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Mower County Historical Society
- Mower County Genealogical Society, PO Box 145, Austin MN 55912-0145; Phone: 507 437-6082
- Minnesota Historical Society Research Center, 1500 Mississippi Street, St. Paul, MN 55101, (612) 296-6980
- Mower County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Mower County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum