Rice County, Minnesota Records
Rice County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on March 5, 1853 (Organized in 1855) from Dakota County and Wabasha County. The county was named in honor of Henry Mower Rice (1816-1894), one of the first two U.S. Senators from Minnesota, 1858-63.
Rice County is bordered by Dakota County (northeast), Goodhue County (east), Dodge County (southeast), Steele County (south), Waseca County (southwest), Le Sueur County (west), Scott County (northwest).
Rice County Cities and Towns include Dennison, Dundas, Faribault, Lonsdale, Morristown, Nerstrand, Northfield.
Rice County Townships include Bridgewater, Cannon City, Erin, Forest, Morristown, Northfield, Richland, Shieldsville, Walcott, Warsaw, Webster, Wells, Wheatland, Wheeling Townships.
A Map of Rice County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Rice County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Rice County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Rice county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Rice County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1856 and Land Records from 1853. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Rice County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1858 and Court Records from 1858. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Rice County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Rice County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Rice County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Rice County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Rice County Historical Society
- Rice County Genealogical Society, 408 Division St S, Northfield MN 55057-2018; Phone: Calls taken by Northfield Historical Society 507-645-9268. Library housed in the Marston Headley Research Room at the Northfield Historical Society Museum (408 Division St S, Northfield MN)
- Trondhjem Community Preservation Society
- Southern Minnesota Historical Center
- Rice County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Rice County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum
Rice County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Rice County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Rice Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Rice County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Rice Co. MNGenweb
- Rice County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Rice County, Minnesota Military Records