Ottawa County, Michigan Records
Ottawa County Cities, Towns & Villages include Coopersville, Ferrysburg, Grand Haven, Holland, Hudsonville, Zeeland, Spring Lake.
Ottawa County Townships include Allendale Charter, Blendon, Chester, Crockery, Georgetown Charter, Grand Haven Charter, Holland Charter, Jamestown Charter, Olive, Park, Polkton Charter, Port Sheldon, Robinson, Spring Lake, Tallmadge Charter, Wright, Zeeland Charter.
A Map of Ottawa County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ottawa County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Ottawa County, MI Courthouse
The Ottawa County Courthouse is located in Grand Haven, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on December 19, 1837 may be located in Kent County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ottawa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Ottawa County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1866 and Marriage Records from 1848. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Ottawa County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Ottawa County Register of Deeds has Land from 1834.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Ottawa County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1844. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Ottawa County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1839. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Ottawa County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ottawa County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Ottawa County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Coopersville Area Historical Society & Museum
- Grand Haven Genealogical Society c/o Loutit Library 407 Columbus Street Grand Haven Ml 49417
- Holland Genealogical Society c/o Herrick Public Library 300 River Avenue Holland MI 49423
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society
- Zeeland Historical Society
- Ottawa County Michigan Message Boards
- Ottawa County, Michigan Genealogy Forum
Ottawa County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Ottawa County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Ottawa Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Ottawa County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Ottawa Co. MIGenweb
- Ottawa County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Ottawa County, Michigan Military Records