Alcona County, Michigan Genealogy Guide
|Other MI Resources|
| MI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MI Ancestor Records
MI Military Databases
MI Data Collections
MI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Alcona County, Michigan (Map It) was created on April 1, 1840 from unorganized territory. The county was named for Pseudo-Native American name created by Henry Schoolcraft. Learn More About State of Michigan History
Alcona County Cities, Towns & Villages include Harrisville, Lincoln.
Alcona County Townships include Alcona, Caledonia, Curtis, Greenbush, Gustin, Harrisville, Hawes, Haynes, Mikado, Millen, Mitchell.
A Map of Alcona County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Alcona County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Alcona County, MI Courthouse
The Alcona County Courthouse is located in Harrisville, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on 12 March 1869 may be located in Mackinac County, Cheboygan County, Alpena County and Iosco County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Alcona county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Alcona County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1869 and Marriage Records from 1869. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Alcona County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Alcona County Register of Deeds has Land from 1869.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Alcona County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1869. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Alcona County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1869. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Alcona County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Alcona County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Alcona County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Alcona Historical Society
- Alcona County Genealogical Society
- Huron Shores Genealogical Society
- Northeast Michigan Genealogical Society
- Alcona County Michigan Message Boards
- Alcona County, Michigan Genealogy Forum