Barnstable County, Massachusetts Records
Barnstable County, Massachusetts (Map It) was created on June 2, 1685 as one of three original counties created in the Plymouth Colony. The county was named after its county seat of Barnstable, which is named after the English town of Barnstaple.
Barnstable County Cities and Towns include Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Centerville, Chatham, East Falmouth, East Sandwich, Eastham, Falmouth, Forestdale, Harwich, Hyannis, Marstons Mills, Mashpee, North Eastham, North Falmouth, Orleans, Osterville, Provincetown, Sandwich, South Dennis, South Yarmouth, Teaticket, Truro, Wellfleet, West Barnstable, West Dennis, West Yarmouth and Yarmouth.
Barnstable County, Massachusetts Courthouse Records
Barnstable County, MA Courthouse
The Barnstable County Courthouse is located in Barnstable, Massachusetts. Fire destroyed nearly all the early deed books and probate files, but probate books survived. Although the official deed books only begin in 1827, many deeds were pre-recorded back to about 1783, though these are far from complete. Learn More About State of Massachusetts Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. For Town Records contact the City/Town Hall Clerk.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Barnstable county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Barnstable County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1827. The County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Barnstable County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1686. The County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Barnstable County Clerk of Courts has Court Records from 1686. The County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Barnstable County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
Barnstable County, Massachusetts Census Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Barnstable County, Massachusetts Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Massachusetts Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from late 1916 to present
- Divorce Records: Indexes from 1952 to present
- Locations: Massachusetts Office of Vital Statistics, Massachusetts State Archives (1841-1910)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate Death Certificate Applications.
Barnstable County, Massachusetts Resources
- Barnstable Historical Society
- Bourne Historical Society
- Brewster Historical Society
- Cape & Islands Historical Association
- Cape Cod Community College Nickerson Archives
- Cape Cod Genealogical Society
- Cape Cod Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
- Centerville Historical Society
- Chatham Historical Society
- Dennis Historical Society
- Donald G. Trayser Memorial Museum , 3353 Main Street, Barnstable Village, MA (617) 362-2092
- Eastham Historical Society
- Falmouth Genelogical Society
- Falmouth Historical Society
- Harwich Historical Society
- Heritage Plantation of Sandwich
- Orleans Historical Society
- Osterville Historical Society
- Historic Society of Santuit and Cotuit
- Historical Society of Old Yarmouth
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Message Boards
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum
Barnstable County, Massachusetts External Links
- Massachusetts Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Books - Amazon
- TOWN RECORDS of BARNSTABLE COUNTY 1640 - 1920
- Barnstable Co., Massachusetts - FindaGrave
- Massachusetts Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Massachusetts (1690 - 1992)
- Barnstable Co. MAGenweb
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Ancestry Database Collections
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Military Records
- Massachusetts City Directories