St. Mary's County, Maryland Genealogy Guide
|Other MD Resources|
| MD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MD Ancestor Records
MD Military Databases
MD Data Collections
MD Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
St. Mary's County, Maryland (Map It) was created on January 24, 1637 from as an Original County from unorganized territory. This county was named for the Virgin Mary, first county named in a colony intended to be a haven for Catholics . Learn More About State of Maryland History.
St. Mary's County Cities and Towns include Leonardtown (incorporated 1858) .
A Map of St. Mary's County, Maryland contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. Also view Maryland Town / Municipal Maps.
St. Mary's County, Maryland Courthouse Records
St. Mary's County, MD Courthouse
The St. Mary's County Courthouse is located in Leonardtown, Maryland. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1831. Some deeds were re-recorded back to 1781, and abstracts of deeds sent to Annapolis beginning in 1784 also make up for some of the records that were destroyed. Learn More About State of Maryland Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Mary's county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- St. Mary's County Circuit Court Clerk has Marriage Records from 1827 and Land Records from 1827. The County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- St. Mary's County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1658. The County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- St. Mary's County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives.
St. Mary's County, Maryland Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1772-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1776, 1776 and 1778 Indexes
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
St. Mary's County, Maryland Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from August 1898 to present
- Marriage Records: from January, 1990 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Divorce Records: from January, 1992 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Locations: Maryland Office of Vital Records, Maryland State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records Division of Vital Records & Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., Reistertown Road Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21215, (410) 764-3038 or (800) 832-3277
St. Mary's County, Maryland Resources
- State of Maryland Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Maryland
- St. Mary's County Historical Society
- Saint Mary’s County Genealogical Society, Inc.
- St. Clement's Island Heritage Group, 38370 Freeze Rd, Coltons Point 20626
- St. Mary's County, Maryland Message Boards
- St. Mary's County, Maryland Genealogy Forum