Kent County, Maryland Records
Kent County Cities and Towns include Betterton (incorporated 1906), Chestertown (incorporated 1805), Galena (incorporated 1858), Millington (incorporated 1890), Rock Hall (incorporated 1908) .
Kent County, Maryland Courthouse Records
Kent County, MD Courthouse
Old Kent County, MD Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kent county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Kent County Circuit Court Clerk has Marriage Records from 1648 and Land Records from 1648. The County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Kent County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1674. The County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Kent County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives.
Kent County, Maryland Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1772-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1776, 1776 and 1778 Indexes
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kent County, Maryland Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from August 1898 to present
- Marriage Records: from January, 1990 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Divorce Records: from January, 1992 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Locations: Maryland Office of Vital Records, Maryland State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records Division of Vital Records & Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., Reistertown Road Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21215, (410) 764-3038 or (800) 832-3277
Kent County, Maryland Resources
- State of Maryland Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Maryland
- Historical Society of Kent County, Inc
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society
- Kent County, Maryland Message Boards
Kent County, Maryland External Links
- Maryland Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Kent County, Maryland Books - Amazon
- Kent Co., Maryland - FindaGrave
- Maryland Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Isle of Kent - Maryland's First Settlement
- Historic Courthouse OF Kent County
- Kent County, Maryland Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Maryland (1719 - 1931)
- Kent Co. MDGenweb
- Kent County, Maryland Ancestry Database Collections
- Kent County, Maryland Military Records