Warren County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Warren County, Indiana (Map It) was created on March 1, 1827 from Wabash New Purchase and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Dr. Joseph Warren, American Revolutionary War hero . Learn More About State of Indiana History
Warren County Cities and Towns include Pine Village, Hedrick, Pence, Stewart, State Line City, Carbondale, Judyville, Kramer, Green HillFoster, West Lebanon, Rainsville, Tab, Johnsonville, Marshfield, Independence, Winthrop, Williamsport.
Warren County Townships include Adams, Jordan, Kent, Liberty, Medina, Mound, Pike, Pine, Prairie, Steuben, Warren, Washington. See Map of Warren County Townships.
Warren County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Warren County, IN Courthouse
The Warren County Courthouse is located in Williamsport, Indiana. The Courthouse at Williamsport was destroyed by fire on Sunday, January 20, 1907. All the records but those of the commissioners were saved. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Warren county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Warren County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1827, Probate Records from 1829 and Court Records from 1827. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Warren County Recorder has Land Records from 1830. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Warren County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Warren County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Warren County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Warren County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Warren County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Warren County Historian, Terri L. Wargo, 3404 W. 575 S., Williamsport, IN 47993-8287; Home Phone: (765) 893-4623, Work Phone: (765) 893-4605
- Warren County Historical Society, P.O. Box 176, Williamsport, IN 47993-0176; Phone: (765) 893-4605
- Warren County, Indiana Message Boards
- Warren County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Warren County, Indiana Mailing lists