Grant County, Indiana Records
Grant County, Indiana (Map It) was created on April 1, 1832 from Madison County, Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land. Grant County was named for Captains Samuel and Moses Grant, former American soldiers and early settlers .
Grant County is bordered by Huntington County (northeast), Wells County (east), Blackford County (east), Delaware County (southeast), Madison County (south), Tipton County (southwest), Howard County (west), Miami County (west), Wabash County (northwest).
Grant County Cities and Towns include Fairmount, Fowlerton, Gas City, Jonesboro, Marion, Matthews, Swayzee, Sweetser, Upland, Van Buren.
Grant County Townships include Center, Fairmount, Franklin, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Mill, Monroe, Pleasant, Richland, Sims, Van Buren, Washington. See Map of Grant County Townships.
Grant County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Grant County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grant county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Grant County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1831, Probate Records from 1831 and Court Records from 1831. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Grant County Recorder has Land Records from 1831. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Grant County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Grant County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Grant County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grant County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Grant County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Grant County Historian, William F. Munn, 800 W. Euclid Ave., Marion, IN 46952-3489; Home Phone: (765) 662-3753
- Grant County Historical Society
- Grant County Genealogy Club, 1429 W. 11th St., Marion, IN 46952
- Gas City Historical Society
- Jonesboro Historical Society, P.O. Box 195, Jonesboro, IN 46938-0195
- Matthews Covered Bridge Historical Society, P.O. Box 153, Matthews, IN 46957-0153
- Mississinewa Battlefield Society
- Upland Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 577, Upland, IN 46989-0577
- Grant County, Indiana Message Boards
Grant County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Grant County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Grant County
- Grant County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Grant Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Grant County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Grant Co. INGenweb
- Grant County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Grant County, Indiana Military Records