Stephenson County, Illinois Records
Stephenson County, Illinois (Map It) was created on March 4, 1837 from Jo Daviess County and Winnebago County. Stephenson County was named for Benjamin Stephenson (1769-1822), representative of Illinois Territory in the United States Congress from 1814 to 1816 .
Stephenson County is bordered by Green County, Wisconsin (north), Winnebago County (east), Ogle County (southeast), Carroll County (southwest), Jo Daviess County (west), Lafayette County, Wisconsin (northwest)
Stephenson County Cities, Towns & Villages include Cedarville, Dakota, Davis, Freeport, German Valley, Lake Summerset, Lena, Orangeville, Pearl City, Ridott, Rock City, Winslow.
Stephenson County Townships include Lancaster, Kent, Harlem, Jefferson, Florence, Erin, Freeport, Buckeye, Dakota, Oneco, Loran, Silver Creek, Rock Run, Rock Grove, Ridott, Waddams, West Point, Winslow. View the Stephenson Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Stephenson County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stephenson County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Stephenson County, IL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stephenson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Stephenson County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1837, Birth & Death Records from 1878 and Land Records from 1837. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Stephenson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1837 and Court Records from 1837. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Stephenson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Stephenson County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stephenson County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Stephenson County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Lena Area Historical Society
- Stephenson County Genealogical Society
- Stephenson County Historical Society
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Stephenson County, Illinois Message Boards
Stephenson County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Stephenson County and its civil and congressional townships
- Stephenson County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Stephenson Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Stephenson County - Illinois State Archives
- Stephenson County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Stephenson Co. ILGenweb
- Stephenson County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Stephenson County, Illinois Military Records