Putnam County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Putnam County, Florida (Map It) was created on January 13, 1849 from Alachua County, and Saint Johns County. Putnam County was named for Benjamin A. Putnam (1801–1869), soldier during the Second Seminole War and Floridian legislator. Learn More About State of Florida History
Putnam County is bordered by Clay County (north), St. Johns County (northeast), Flagler County (east), Volusia County (southeast), Marion County (southwest), Alachua County (west), Bradford County (northwest).
Putnam County Cities and Towns include Crescent City, Interlachen, Palatka, Pomona Park, Welaka.
A Map of Putnam County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Putnam Co. Historical Events:
- French Huguenots traded here in 1564 and later.
- During the British occupation great plantations were established along the St. John River.
- The short-lived Republic of Florida, established in 1812, included part of what is now Putnam County.
- Palatka was established as a fort during the Seminole wars.
- The region saw considerable fighting by small forces during the Civil War and after it ended there was a considerable inflow of settlers from the north.
- It is a land of beautiful lakes and rivers and has an unusual attraction at the Azalea. Ravine Gardens at Palatka.
- Follestown, a settlement on a 40,000 acre grant to Denyo Rolls, founded in 1765.
- In 1820 trading post established at Palatka by James Marver and others.
Putnam County, Florida Courthouse Records
Putnam County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Putnam county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Putnam County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1849, Land Records from 1849, Probate Records from 1849 and Court Records from 1849. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Putnam County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Putnam County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Putnam County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Putnam County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Putnam County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Putnam County Archives and History Commission, 518 St. Johns Ave., Palatka, FL 32077
- Putnam County Historical Society
- Putnam County Genealogical Society
- Putnam County, Florida Message Boards
- Putnam County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Putnam County, Florida Mailing lists