Duval County, Florida Records
Duval County Cities and Towns include Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach.
A Map of Duval County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Duval Co. Historical Events:
- This county included the site of one of the first white settlements in what is now the United States.
- French Huguenots founded a village and fort on the St. Johns River in 1564.
- A year later Spanish from St. Augustine destroyed the settlement, killing most of the people. They occupied the fort and were, in turn, destroyed by a French expedition in 1567.
- Another fort, San Mateo was built by the Spanish and missions set up along the St. Johns River.
- During the English occupation of Florida this section prospered. Duval County territory was part of the American "Republic of Florida" estab-lished in 1812.
- After the United States bought Florida, Jacksonville, now the largest city in the State, was established at "Cow Ford", where King's Road crossed the St. Johns River. The settlement suffered from Civil War, yellow fever and destruction by fire but it came out stronger and better after each period of destruction.
- First store within present city of Jacksonville opened in 1818 on the south side of present Adams Street by William G. Dawson and John R. Buckles.
Duval County, Florida Courthouse Records
Duval County, FL Courthouse
The Duval County Courthouse is located in Jacksonville, Florida. Courthouse was burned during the Civil War, burned in 1901. Extent of reocrd loss unknown. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Duval county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Duval County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1822, Land Records from 1901, Probate Records from 1905 and Court Records from 1901. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Duval County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Duval County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Duval County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Duval County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Duval County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Jacksonville Historical Society
- Jacksonville Historic Landmarks Commission, 128 E. Forsyth St., Jacksonville, FL 32202; 904-630-1904
- Jacksonville Genealogical Society
- Beaches Area Historical Society
- Riverside-Avondale Preservation, Inc.
- Southern Genealogist's Exchange Society
- Duval County, Florida Message Boards
Duval County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Duval County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Duval Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Duval County Courthouse History
- Duval County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Duval Co. FLGenweb
- Duval County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Duval County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Duval County, Florida Military Records