Conejos County, Colorado Genealogy Guide
|Other CO Resources|
| CO Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CO Ancestor Records
CO Military Databases
CO Data Collections
CO Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Conejos County, Colorado (Map It) was created on November 1, 1861 one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado.. Conejos County was named after cottontail rabbits in the area. Conejos is a Spanish word for rabbits.. Learn More About State of Colorado History
Conejos County is bordered by Rio Grande County (north), Alamosa County (north) East, Costilla County (east), Taos County, New Mexico (south) East, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico (south), Archuleta County (west).
Conejos County Cities and Towns include Town of Antonito, Bear Creek, Bountiful, Cañon, Capulin, Carmel, Conejos, Elk Creek, Fox Creek, Guadalupe, Horca, La Florida, Town of La Jara, La Sauses, Las Mesitas, Lobatos, Town of Manassa, Mogote, Ortiz, Osier, Platoro, Richfield, Rincones, Town of Romeo, San Antonio, Town of Sanford, Sheep Creek.
A Map of Conejos County, Colorado contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Conejos County, Colorado Courthouse Records
Conejos County, CO Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Conejos county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.Some loss of records occurred by fire.
- Conejos County Clerk & Recorder has Marriage Records from 1871 and has Land Records from 1871. The County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Conejos County Clerk of Courts has Probate Records from 1875 and has Court Records from 1877.
- Conejos County Public Health and Nursing Service has Birth / Death Records from 1877–1907
Conejos County, Colorado Census Records
- Learn More: State of Colorado Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Conejos County, Colorado Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Colorado Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1910 to present.
- Marriage Records: None, but are available from the County Clerk of District Court.
- Death Records: from 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None, but are available from the County Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Vital Records Section, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, HSVRD-VS-A1, Denver, CO 80246-1530; PH (916) (303) 692-2224 General, (303) 756-4464 Information.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
Conejos County, Colorado Resources
- Conejos County, Colorado Message Boards
- conejos County, Colorado Genealogy Forum
- Conejos County, Colorado Mailing lists