Sacramento County, California Genealogy Guide
|Other CA Resources|
| CA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CA Ancestor Records
CA Military Databases
CA Data Collections
CA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Sacramento County, California (Map It) was created on February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties . Sacramento County was named for the Sacramento River. The word Sacramento signifies “Sacrament” or “Lord’s Supper.” Learn More About State of California History
Sacramento County is bordered by San Joaquin County (south), Contra Costa County (southwest), Solano County (west), Yolo County (west), Sutter County (northwest), Placer County (north), El Dorado County (east), Amador County (east). .
Sacramento County Cities and Towns include Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, Isleton, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento .
Sacramento County, California Courthouse Records
Sacramento County, CA Courthouse
Old Sacramento County Courthouse
The Sacramento County Courthouse is located in Sacramento, California. The first courthouse, built in 1851, became the Capitol in 1854 and was destroyed in a fire that same year. Learn More About State of California Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Courthouse History - Sacramento's first courthouse, built in 1851, became the Capitol in 1854 and was destroyed in a fire that same year. After the county outgrew its second courthouse, this three-story granite-and-marble county center was "built to last forever" but was abandoned in 1965 for a more modern facility and demolished in 1970. A new county jail was constructed on the site in 1989.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sacramento county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Sacramento County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1858 / 1850, Marriage Records from 1850 and Land Records from 1848. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Sacramento County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1849 and Court Records from 1849. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Sacramento County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 7001 East Parkway, Suite 650, Sacramento, CA 95823; Office (916) 875-5345 (recording); Office (916) 875-2066 (general)
Sacramento County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1852, Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sacramento County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Sacramento County, California Resources
- Genealogical & Historical Council of Sacramento Valley
- Sacramento Genealogical Society - Root Cellar
- Sacramento Historical Society
- Sacramento Genealogical Association
- Sacramento German Genealogy Society
- Sacramento River Delta Historical Society
- Folsom Historical Society-Museum
- Sloughhouse Area Genealogical Society
- Sacramento Public Library
- Sacramento County, California Message Boards
- Sacramento County, California Genealogy Forum
- Sacramento County, California Mailing lists