Jefferson County, Arkansas Genealogy Guide
|Other AR Resources|
| AR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AR Ancestor Records
AR Military Databases
AR Data Collections
AR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jefferson County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on November 2, 1829 and was formed from Arkansas County and Pulaski County. Parts of Jefferson County was used to form the following counties: Cleveland 1873, Grant 1869, Lincoln 1871. Other county boundry changes occured when Boundaries defined 3 November 1831 and 29 October 1836, lines changed with Lincoln and Desha 20 March 1879 and with Arkansas 25 February 1889. Jefferson County was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), 3rd President of the United States. Learn More About State of Arkansas History
Jefferson County Cities and Towns include Altheimer, Humphrey, Pine Bluff, Redfield, Sherrill, Wabbaseka, White Hall.
A Map of Jefferson County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jefferson County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Jefferson County, AR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jefferson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1830, Land Records from 1830 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Jefferson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1830 and has Probate Records from 1829. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Jefferson County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Jefferson County Health Department
Jefferson County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jefferson County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Jefferson County, Arkansas Resources
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 1600 W. 27th, Pine Bluff, AR 71603; 870-535-0293
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society
- Jefferson County, Arkansas Message Boards
- Jefferson County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum
- Jefferson County, Arkansas Mailing lists