Conway County, Arkansas Records
Conway County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on October 20, 1825 and was formed from Pulaski County. Parts of Conway County was used to form the following counties: Faulkner 1873, Perry 1840, Van Buren 1833.
Other county boundry changes occured when NW boundary defined 27 October 1827, line with Pulaski defined 20 October 1828, part of Indian purchase annexed 22 October 1828, line with Pulaski and Independence defined 5 November 1831, part annexed to Pope County 6 January 1853, part annexed to White 11 January 1853, line with Pope County defined 28 May 1874. Conway County was named in honor of Henry Wharton Conway (1793–1827), territorial delegate to the United States House of Representatives.
Conway County Cities and Towns include Blackwell, Formosa, Menifee, Morrilton, Oppelo, Plumerville.
A Map of Conway County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Conway County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Conway County, AR Courthouse
The Conway County Courthouse is located in Morrilton, Arkansas. Cadron was first named the seat of government until 1873 when Lewisburg (later renamed Morrilton) was designated. Lewisburg, situated on the Arkansas River, was subject to periodic floods - some records were lost; a fire about 1899 destroyed and damaged some records; loose probate packets date from 1899. Learn More About State of Arkansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Conway county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Conway County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1842, Land Records from 1825 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Conway County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1851 and has Probate Records from 1837. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Conway County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Conway County Health Department
Conway County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Conway County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Conway County, Arkansas Resources
- River Valley Genealogy Society
- Conway County Genealogical Society
- Conway County, Arkansas Message Boards
Conway County, Arkansas External Links
- Arkansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Conway County, Arkansas Books - Amazon
- Conway Co., Arkansas - FindaGrave
- Arkansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Conway Co. ARGenweb
- Conway County, Arkansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Arkansas (1819 - 1999)
- Conway County, Arkansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Conway County, Arkansas Military Records