Chicot County, Arkansas Genealogy Guide
|Other AR Resources|
| AR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AR Ancestor Records
AR Military Databases
AR Data Collections
AR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Chicot County, Arkansas (Map It) was created on October 25, 1823 by the Territorial Legislature and was formed from Arkansas County. Parts of Chicot County was used to form the following counties: Ashley 1848, Desha 1838. Other county boundry changes occured when Boundaries defined 2 November 1835, part attached to Drew 21 December 1846, line with Ashley changed 18 January 1861, line with Drew changed 30 November 1875, and with Desha 10 February 1879. Chicot County was named for Point Chicot on the Mississippi River. Learn More About State of Arkansas History
Chicot County is bordered by Desha County (north), Washington County, Mississippi (east), Issaquena County, Mississippi (southeast), East Carroll Parish, Louisiana (south), West Carroll Parish, Louisiana (southwest), Ashley County (west), Drew County (northwest).
Chicot County Cities and Towns include Dermott, Eudora, Lake Village.
A Map of Chicot County, Arkansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Chicot County, Arkansas Courthouse Records
Chicot County, AR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chicot county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Chicot County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1824, Land Records from 1823 and Divorce Records are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of the county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts. They are also the ex-officio county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within the county.
- Chicot County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1840 and has Probate Records from 1839. The County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases.
- Chicot County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Chicot County Health Department
Chicot County, Arkansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1819-1870
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Chicot County, Arkansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Arkansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from February 1, 1914 to present.
- Marriage Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1923 to present. Full certified copy may be obtained from the County Circuit or Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: Arkansas Office of Vital Records, 4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205; (602) 364-1300, 501-661-2336, 800-637-9314
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Chicot County, Arkansas Resources
- Chicot County, Arkansas Historical & Genealogical Society
- Chicot County, Arkansas Message Boards
- Chicot County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum
- Chicot County, Arkansas Mailing lists