Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Genealogy Guide
|Other WI Resources|
| WI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WI Ancestor Records
WI Military Databases
WI Data Collections
WI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on October 6, 1856 from Chippewa County. The county was named for the City of Eau Claire, itself French for "clear water". Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Eau Claire County is bordered by Chippewa County (north), Clark County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Trempealeau County (south), Buffalo County (southwest), Pepin County (west), Dunn County (west).
Eau Claire County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Altoona, Augusta, Eau Claire, Bridge Creek, Brunswick, Clear Creek, Drammen, Fairchild, Lincoln, Ludington, Otter Creek, Pleasant Valley, Seymour, Union, Washington, Wilson, Fairchild, Fall Creek.
A Map of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Eau Claire County, WI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Eau Claire county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Eau Claire County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1857, Death Records from 1876 and Land Records from 1856. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Eau Claire County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1858. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Eau Claire County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1854. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Eau Claire County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Resources
- Genealogical Research Society of Eau Claire
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire
- Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Message Boards
- Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Eau Claire Leader (Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
- Daily Telegram (Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
- West Eau Claire Argus (West Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
- The New North Wisconsin (Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
- The Fairchild Graphic (Fairchild, Wisconsin)
- Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Eau Claire Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Eau Claire County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List