Stevens County, Washington Records
Stevens County, Washington (Map It) was created on January 20, 1863 from Walla Walla County. Ferry County and Pend Oreille County were were formed from Stevens in 1889 and 1911 respectively. The researcher may find some early records for those counties in Stevens County. The county was named in honor of Isaac Stevens (1818–1862), 1st Governor of the Washington Territory. It has had numerous county seats over the years. It now covers 2,481.2 square miles and has a population in excess of 30,000. The discovery of numerous minerals caused this area to grow. When the area was opened to homesteading, it became a more stable and permanent population. Today, timber and tourist traffic are the main bases for the economy. .
Stevens County Cities and Towns include Chewelah, Colville, Kettle Falls, Marcus, Northport, Springdale.. A Map of Stevens County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stevens County, Washington Courthouse Records
Stevens County, WA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Stevens County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Stevens County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1859 and Land Records from 1883. The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Stevens County Clerk has Court Records from 1887 and Probate Records from 1882. The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Stevens County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Stevens County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Stevens County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stevens County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Stevens County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives
- Northeast Washington Genealogical Society
- Stevens County Historical Society & Research Center
- Stevens County Rural Library District
- Colville Public Library
- Colville Family History Center, 260 E Juniper, Colville, WA 99114. Phone: 509-685-0207.
- Stevens County, Washington Message Boards
- Stevens County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Stevens County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Stevens County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Inventory of the county archives of Washington, no. 33. Stevens County (Colville)
- Stevens Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Stevens County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Stevens Co. WAGenweb
- Stevens County, Washington Ancestry Database Collections
- Stevens County, Washington Military Records
- Washington, Postmaster Indexes, Prior to 1965
- Washington gazetteer and business directory : 1901-1902.