Cook County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Cook County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on November 3, 1874 (Organized in 1897) from Lake County. The county was named in honor of Major Michael Cook of Faribault. Territorial and state senator, 1857-62; killed in Civil War at battle of Nashville. . Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Cook County Cities and Towns include Grand Marais.
Cook County Townships include Lutsen, Schroeder, Tofte Townships.
A Map of Cook County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cook County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Cook County, MN Courthouse
The Cook County Courthouse is located in Grand Marais, Minnesota. At some time Cook County was attached to St. Louis County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cook county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Cook County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1897, Marriage Records from 1897 and Land Records from ?. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Cook County Court Administrator has Probate Records from ? and Court Records from 1892. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Cook County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Cook County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cook County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Cook County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Cook County Historical Society and Museum
- Johnson Heritage Post, PO Box 35, Grand Marais MN 55604-0035; Phone: 218 387-2314 or 218 388-0575
- North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum & Tofte Historical Society
- Schroeder Area Historical Society, PO Box 337, 7932 West Highway 61, Schroeder MN; Phone: 218 663-7706
- Northeast Minnesota Historical Center
- Cook County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Cook County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum