Garrett County, Maryland Genealogy Guide
|Other MD Resources|
|MD Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
MD Ancestor Records
MD Military Databases
MD Data Collections
MD Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Garrett County, Maryland (Map It) was created on November 4, 1872 from Allegany County. This county was named in honor of John Work Garrett, president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Learn More About State of Maryland History.
Garrett County is bordered by Somerset County, Pennsylvania (north), Allegany County (east), Mineral County, West Virginia (east), Grant County, West Virginia (southeast), Tucker County, West Virginia (south), Preston County, West Virginia (west), Fayette County, Pennsylvania (northwest).
Garrett County Cities and Towns include Accident (incorporated 1916), Deer Park (incorporated 1884), Friendsville (incorporated 1902), Grantsville (incorporated 1864), Kitzmiller (incorporated 1906), Loch Lynn Heights (incorporated 1896), Mountain Lake Park (incorporated 1931), Oakland (incorporated 1862).
A Map of Garrett County, Maryland contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. Also view Maryland Town / Municipal Maps.
Garrett County, Maryland Courthouse Records
Garrett County, MD Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Garrett county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Garrett County Circuit Court Clerk has Marriage Records from 1873 and Land Records from 1873. The County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Garrett County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1872. The County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Garrett County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives.
Garrett County, Maryland Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1772-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Garrett County, Maryland Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from August 1898 to present
- Marriage Records: from January, 1990 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Divorce Records: from January, 1992 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Locations: Maryland Office of Vital Records, Maryland State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records Division of Vital Records & Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., Reistertown Road Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21215, (410) 764-3038 or (800) 832-3277