Lee County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lee County, Florida (Map It) was created on May 13, 1887 from Monroe County. Lee County was named for Robert E. Lee (1807–1870), commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia in the American Civil War. Learn More About State of Florida History
Lee County Cities and Towns include Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel.
A Map of Lee County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lee Co. Historical Events:
- This county was visited and mapped by early Spanish explorers.
- During the Seminole War several forts were built, including Fort Harvey, later rebuilt as Fort Myers.
- The city of the same name which grew on this site was the winter home of the late Thomas A. Edison.
Lee County, Florida Courthouse Records
Lee County, FL Courthouse
Old Lee County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 188?, Land Records from ?, Probate Records from ? and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Lee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Lee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Lee County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lee County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lee County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Lee County Genealogical Society
- Cape Coral Historical Society
- Southwest Florida Historical Society
- Bonita Springs Genealogy Club
- Lehigh Acres Genealogical Society, PO Box 965, Lehigh Acres, FL 33970-0965
- Lee County, Florida Message Boards
- Lee County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Lee County, Florida Mailing lists