Lake County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lake County Cities and Towns include Clermont, Eustis, Fruitland Park, Groveland, Leesburg, Mascotte, Minneola, Mount Dora, Tavares, Umatilla, Astatula, Howey-in-the-Hills, Lady Lake, Montverde.
A Map of Lake County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lake Co. Historical Events:
- Spaniards, in colonial days, introduced the orange to this region for American settlers resulting in wild orange groves in abundance.
- Indian trouble continued until 1850 and real development did not come until after the Civil War.
- Lake is the leading watermelon county of Florida and it also ranks high in citrus and grape production.
- Hernando de Soto and his men passed through county July, 1539'. Leesburg founded 1866.
- Florida Conference College predecessor of present Southern College was founded at Leesburg, 1887.
Lake County, Florida Courthouse Records
Lake County, FL Courthouse
Old Lake County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lake county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lake County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1887, Land Records from 1887, Probate Records from 1887 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Lake County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Lake County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Lake County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lake County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lake County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Lake County Historical Society & Museum
- Lake County Kinseekers Genealogical Society
- Leesburg Genealogical Society, 204 N. Fifth St., Leesburg, FL 32748
- Eustis Historical Museum & Preservation Society
- Kinseekers Genealogical Society of Lake County
- Pastfinders of South Lake County, Cooper Memorial Library
- Villages Genealogical Society
- Lake County, Florida Message Boards
- Lake County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Lake County, Florida Mailing lists