Plumas County, California Genealogy Guide
|Other CA Resources|
| CA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CA Ancestor Records
CA Military Databases
CA Data Collections
CA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Plumas County, California (Map It) was created on March 18, 1854 from Butte County . Plumas County was named for the Spanish originally called one of the tributaries of the Sacramento River El Rio de las Plumas or the “River of Feathers.” In creating this county, the state Legislature gave it the name Plumas because all of the numerous branches of the Feather River have their origins in its mountains. . Learn More About State of California History
Plumas County Cities and Towns include Portola .
Since its creation Plumas County boundries have changed to include these:
- Most of Plumas County territory was in Butte County from 1850 to 1854 when it was separated to create the new county.
- Territory in Yuba County from 1850 to 1852, was in Sierra County from 1852 to 1866, when it was added to Plumas County.
- Territory which at one time was in Plumas County is now in Lassen County, Shasta County, and Sierra County.
Plumas County, California Courthouse Records
Plumas County, CA Courthouse
Old Plumas County Courthouse
Courthouse History - The size and cost of this classically inspired courthouse, which replaced a more modest New England-style building, was considered so exorbitant for the county that there was talk of recalling the board of supervisors. Over the years, several escape attempts were made from the jail, which was once located on the fourth floor of the building. One inmate broke his leg when the sheets he had tied together came apart as he lowered himself to the ground. The building remains in official use and is preserved in its near-original state. With an interior paved in Tuolumne marble and accented with pink Tennessee marble, the public spaces are favorite places for weddings and other social functions.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Plumas county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Plumas County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1873 / 1873, Marriage Records from 1854 and Land Records from 1854. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Plumas County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1854 and Court Records from 1854. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Plumas County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 270 County Hospital Road, Suite 111, Quincy, CA 95971; Office (530) 283-6330
Plumas County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Plumas County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Plumas County, California Resources
- Plumas County Museum Archives
- Plumas County Historical Society, P.O. Box 695, Quincy 95971
- Plumas County, California Message Boards
- Plumas County, California Genealogy Forum
- Plumas County, California Mailing lists