Florence County, Wisconsin Genealogy Guide
|Other WI Resources|
| WI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WI Ancestor Records
WI Military Databases
WI Data Collections
WI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Florence County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on March 18, 1882 from Marinette County and Oconto County. The county was named in honor of Florence Julst, the first white woman to settle in the area. Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Populated Places in Florence County are Towns which consist of Aurora, Commonwealth, Fence, Fern, Florence, Homestead, Long Lake, Tipler.
A Map of Florence County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Florence County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Florence County, WI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Florence county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Florence County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1882, Marriage Records from 1882, Death Records from 1882 and Land Records from 1882. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Florence County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1882. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Florence County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1882. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Florence County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Florence County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1895, 1905
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Florence County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Florence County, Wisconsin Resources
- Florence County Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
- Florence County, Wisconsin Message Boards
- Florence County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum