Mingo County, West Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other WV Resources|
| WV Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WV Ancestor Records
WV Military Databases
WV Data Collections
WV Historical Westspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Mingo County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on January 30, 1895 from portions of Logan County. The county was named in honor of the Mingo Indian tribe that had been the earliest known settlers of the region. Learn More About State of West Virginia History
Mingo County is bordered by Lincoln County (north), Logan County (northeast), Wyoming County (east), McDowell County (southeast), Pike County, Kentucky (west), Martin County, Kentucky (west), Wayne County (northwest). A Map of Mingo County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mingo County Cities and Towns include Baisden, Blackberry City, Borderland, Breeden, Edgarton, Emmett, Gilbert, Hampden, Justice, Kermit, Lenore, Lobata, Matewan, Meador, Myrtle, Naugatuck, Newtown, Nolan, North Matewan, Ragland, Rawl, Red Jacket, Sprigg, Thacker, Varney, Verner, Vulcan, Wharncliffe, Williamson
Mingo County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Mingo County, WV Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mingo county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863. Courthouse flooded in 1977, heavily damaging records. Mingo was not created until 1895, so Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) was not interested in filming Mingo's records during the 1960's-70's when they filmed other counties because LDS was concentrating on pre-1900 records at the time. By the time Mingo records were scheduled for filming, privacy laws had been enacted which prevented copying many records. Births for 1900-24, Deaths for 1894-1925, Marriages for 1895-1926 and Wills for 1895-1926 were filmed.
- Mingo County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1895, Marriage Records from 1895, Land Records from 1895 and Probate Records from 1895. The County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Mingo County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1895. TheCounty Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
Mingo County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
Mingo County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Mingo County, West Virginia Resources
- Mingo County Genealogical Society
- Mingo County Historical Society, 10 Collier Street, Kermit, WV 25674; Phone (304) 393-3370
- Mingo County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Mingo County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum