Skagit County, Washington Genealogy Guide
|Other WA Resources|
|WA Birth Records|
WA Marriage Records
WA Divorce Records
WA Death Records
WA Ancestor Records
WA Military Databases
WA Data Collections
WA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Skagit County, Washington (Map It) was created on November 28, 1883 from Whatcom County. The county was named for the Skagit Native American tribe. The county has been settled since 1859; however gold strikes in the 1870’s brought in miners who later took up logging and farming after the gold gave out. In 1889 the introduction of a railroad into the county helped to increase its population. Today, Skagit County has a rich and diverse economic base. It is one of the state’s most productive vegetable and berry growing areas. Dairying and poultry raising are important economic activities and the county is also a producer of cement, steel and wood products. Learn More About State of Washington History.
Skagit County Cities and Towns include Alger, Bay View, Big Lake, Clear Lake, Conway, Edison, Lake Cavanaugh, Lake McMurray, Marblemount, Rockport.. A Map of Skagit County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Skagit County, Washington Courthouse Records
Skagit County, WA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Skagit County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Skagit County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1891 and Land Records from 1872 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Skagit County Clerk has Court Records from 1884 and Probate Records from 1878 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Skagit County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Skagit County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Skagit County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Skagit County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Skagit County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch
- Skagit Valley Genealogical Society
- Anacortes Museum Foundation & Museum
- Sedro-Wooley Museum
- Skagit County Historical Museum
- Mt Vernon Family History Center Library, 1700 Hazel St, Mt Vernon, WA. Phone: 360-424-7723..
- Skagit County, Washington Message Boards
- Skagit County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Skagit County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Skagit County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Skagit County Marriage Records (1980-2010) Skagit County Auditor's Recording Division
- Skagit Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- An Illustrated history of Skagit and Snohomish Counties
- Skagit County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Skagit Co. WAGenweb