List of Vermont Newspapers & Publications
Vermont Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all sorts of helpful information and facts about individual ancestors, complete lineages and families, places in time, and concerning all sorts of genealogical records and repositories. They let you uncover a variety of information and facts about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These types of sources can frequently bolster public records and give details that is not recorded someplace else. Here, you can learn a lot more about your ancestor’s possible every day activities by putting them in the context of their time.
The Vermont Department of Libraries, State Office Building, 109 State St., Montpelier, VT 05609 has a microfilmed collection of all Vermont newspapers known from 1781 onward. The card catalog there shows the available issues and the locations of each publication under the “Newspapers” heading. Certain libraries around the state also have newspaper collections available. For example, the Swanton Public Library has a collection of issues of the Swanton Courier from 1877 through 1953. Obituaries were not widely included in newspapers until the 1900s and not many birth records were included either, but there are several other vital records and important bits of information that can be found in various state newspaper collections.
The state library’s “Vermont Room” holds a transcript index of the Burlington Free Press from 1848 to 1870. Those records are full of accidents, deaths and other information, which is listed alphabetically according to the names of the people involved and according to the type of event.
Copies of the transcript to the Burlington Free Press index for 1848 to 1870 are also available at the University of Vermont Bailey-Howe Library, along with several other newspaper collections.
The Vermont Historical Society has a scrapbook of the Boston Evening Transcript genealogical column on file.
Newspapers – Vermont newspapers can furnish all sorts of hints about historical incidents, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and much more.
- Vermont Historical Newspapers
- Vermont Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006) – Easily locate names and keywords in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices along with other items printed in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content and articles added on a monthly basis!
- Extracts from “The Repertory,” 9 Mar 1826–29 Dec 1831. Published at St. Albans, Franklin County, Vermont. Bloomington, Minn.: C. Mertz, 1991. Includes marriage and death notices from those issues.
- Vermont Newspaper Abstracts, 1783–1816. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, Inc., 2001. Includes 11,000 references from the Vermont Gazette, The Vermont Gazette: Epitome of the World, Epitome of the World, The World, and The Green-Mountain Farmer.
- Vermont Newspaper List