It is a good idea to acquaint your self with virtually any repository in New Mexico which you might explore, by communicating with to the relevant archive or library in advance. A good number of, if not all, New Mexico repositories contain written and published resources that show its collections and research policy. New Mexico archives and historical associations usually have Online sites which provide the same resources. Several actually have down-loadable sources for some or parts of their collections.
New Mexico Archives
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives, 1205 Camino Carlos Rey, Santa Fe, NM 87505-9860; As the main repository of government documents within the state, it participates in the “Online Archive of New Mexico.” Among its holdings are land grant documents; Spanish (1621–1821), Mexican (1821–46), and Territorial (1846–1912) Archives; statehood records; Archives of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe records; governors’ papers; judicial and private papers. Publishes Quipu.
- Center for Southwest Research, Special Collections Department, General Library, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-1466; Major research center for New Mexico, the Southwest, and the American West; participating repository of the “Online Archive of New Mexico”; land grant and Native American collections; vertical files; family histories; inventories and bibliographies.
- Rio Grande Historical Collections, New Mexico State University Libraries, P.O. Box 30006, MSC 3475, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8006; A participating repository of the “Online Archive of New Mexico,” its holdings include Southwest collections on Native Americans, cowboys, cattle industry, farming, overland trails, borderlands, and the Western Women Collection.
- Hispanic Genealogical Research Center of New Mexico, P.O. Box 51088, Albuquerque, NM 87181; Publishes Herencia.
- National Archives-Rocky Mountain Region, Denver Federal Center, Building 48, West 6th Avenue and Kipling Street, Denver, Colorado 80225-0307. States covered are Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming.; Mailing Address: P.O. Box 25307, Denver, Colorado 80225-0307; Tel: 303-236-0817, E-mail: email@example.com, Fax: 303-236-9297
National Hispanic Cultural Center, 1701 4th SW (at Avenida César Chávez), Albuquerque, NM 87102; A library and genealogy research center, its holdings include rare books, archival and genealogical collections, and microform collections.
New Mexico State Library, 1209 Camino Carlos Rey, Santa Fe, NM 87505-9860; The library provides access to state and federal sources; Southwest collections, including Hispanic and Native American; newspapers; vertical files; and clipping files.
New Mexico Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 8283, Albuquerque, NM 87198-8283; Publishes New Mexico Genealogist.
County, Township and City
- Acoma Pueblo Historical Society, P.O. Box 309, Acoma Pueblo, NM 87034
- Ages – Alamogordo Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 734, Alamogordo NM 88310
- Albuquerque Historical Society, P.O. Box 20568, Albuquerque NM 87154-0568
- Artesia Historical Society, 505 West Richardson Ave., Artesia, NM 88210; Phone: 505-748-2390
- Branigan Cultural Center, P.O. Box 2000, 501 North Main Street, Las Cruces NM 88004
- Carlsbad Historical Society, P.O. Box 252, 418 W. Fox St., Carlsbad NM 88220; Phone: (760) 434-9189
- Cibola County Historical Society, POB 346 Grants, NM 87020 ; 505-285-6611
- Cleveland Historical Society, P.O. Box 287, Cleveland 87715
- Columbus Historical Society, P.O. Box 562, Highway 9 and 11, Columbus, NM 88029 575-531-2620
- Curry County Genealogical Society,
- Deming Historical Society, 301 South Silver, Deming 88030
- Dona Ana County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 123, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88004
- Farmington Pioneer History, 302 N. Orchard, Farmington 87401-6227
- Folsom Historical Society, Main Street, Folsom 88419
- Gadsen Historical Society, P.O. Box 147, Mesilla 88046
- Geronimo Springs Museum, 211 Main St., Truth Or Consequences 87901
- Ghost Ranch Living Museum, Hcr77 Box 15, Abiquiu 87510
- Guadalupe Historic Foundation, 100 S Guadalupe St, Santa Fe 87501-5503
- Hispanic Genealogical Research Center Of New Mexico,
- Historical Center For Southeast New Mexico, 200 N. Lea Ave., Roswell 88201
- Kit Carson Historic Society, P.O. Drawer Ccc, Taos 87571
- Las Vegas City Historical Society, 729 Grand Ave., Las Vegas 87701
- Lea County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1195, Lovington 88260
- Lincoln County Heritage Trust, P.O. Box 36, Lincoln 88338
- Los Alamos Historical Society, P.O. Box 43, Los Alamos 87544
- Moriarity Historical Society, P.O. Box 1366, Moriarty 87035
- New Mexico Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 8283, Albuquerque 87198-8283
- New Mexico Jewish Historical Society, P.O. Box 15598, Santa Fe 87506
- New Mexico State Organization Nsdar, 3936 Garcia St. N.E., Albuquerque 87111
- Raton Historical Society, 216 S. First Street, Raton 87740
- Red Rock Historical Society, P.O. Box 328, Gallup 87311
- Rio Arriba County Historical Society, P.O. Box 158, Tierra Amarilla 87575
- Rio Grande Filipino American National Society, P.O. Box 953, Isleta 87022
- Roswell Historical Society, 100 West 11th Street, Roswell 88201
- San Ildefonso Historical Society, Route 5, Box 315-A, Santa Fe 87501
- Santa Fe County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1985, Santa Fe 87504
- Santa Fe Historical Society, P.O. Box 323, Springer 87747
- Silver City Historical Society, 312 W. Broadway, Silver City 88061
- Southeast New Mexico, Historical Society Of, 200 N Lea Ave, Roswell 88201-4655
- Southern New Mexico Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2563, Las Cruces 88004-2563
- Tucumcari Historical Research Institute, 416 S. Adams, Tucumcari 88401
- Tularosa Basin Historical Society, P.O. Box 518, Alamogordo 88310
- Valencia County Historical Society, 104 North First Street, Belen 87002
Religious and Ethnic New Mexico Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- New Mexico Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from New Mexico (1844 – 1973) (genealogybank.com) Instantly locate names and key phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and also other items printed in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Brand new articles and other content added every month!
- New Mexico Newspaper List (usnpl.com)