Spartanburg County, South Carolina Records
Spartanburg County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1785 from Ninety-Six District, and from 1791 to 1799 it was part of Pinckney District. The county was named in honor of "Spartan Regiment" of the state militia, which was the key force for victory in the Revolutionary War Battle of Cowpens..
Spartanburg County is bordered by Columbus County, North Carolina (north), Cherokee County (east), Union County (southeast), Laurens County (south), Greenville County (west), Columbus County, North Carolina (northwest).
Spartanburg County Cities and Towns include Campobello, Central Pacolet, Chesnee, Cowpens, Duncan, Greer, Inman, Landrum, Lyman, Pacolet, Reidville, Spartanburg, Wellford, Woodruff. A Map of Spartanburg County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Spartanburg County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Spartanburg County, SC Courthouse
The Spartanburg County Courthouse is located in Spartanburg, South Carolina. In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Spartanburg County: Cherokee County in 1897. Learn More About State of South Carolina Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Spartanburg county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Spartanburg County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1784. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Spartanburg County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1787. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Spartanburg County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1785 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Spartanburg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Spartanburg County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Spartanburg County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Spartanburg County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Spartanburg County, South Carolina Resources
- Spartanburg County Historical Association
- Piedmont Historical Society
- Pinckney District Chapter of South Carolina Genealogical Society
- Reidville Historical Society, PO Box 375, Reidville, SC 29375; Telephone: (864) 486-0547
- Preservation Trust of Spartanburg, Inc.
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Message Boards
Spartanburg County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Spartanburg County Records
- Spartanburg Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of Spartanburg County
- A History of Spartanburg County
- Spartanburg County History
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Spartanburg Co. SCGenweb
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830