Pickens County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pickens County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1826 from Pendleton District (at one time called Washington District). The county was named in honor of Andrew Pickens, Governor of South Carolina . Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Pickens County Cities and Towns include Central, Clemson, Dacusville, Easley, Liberty, Norris, Pickens, Sunset, Six Mile. A Map of Pickens County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pickens County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Pickens County, SC Courthouse
The Pickens County Courthouse is located in Pickens, South Carolina. In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Pickens County: Anderson County in 1826 and Oconee County in 1868. Learn More About State of South Carolina Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pickens county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Pickens County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1828. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Pickens County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1828. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Pickens County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1823 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Pickens County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Pickens County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Pickens County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pickens County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Pickens County, South Carolina Resources
- Pickens County Historical Society
- Central Heritage Society
- Old Pendleton District Chapter of S.C.G.S.
- Pickens County Museum of Art & History
- Pickens County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Pickens County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pickens County