Marlboro County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Marlboro County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on March 2, 1785 from Cheraws District. The county was named in honor of John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, English general, diplomat, and confidant of monarchs. Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Marlboro County is bordered by Columbus County, North Carolina (north), Columbus County, North Carolina (northeast), Columbus County, North Carolina (east), Dillon County (east), Florence County (south), Darlington County (southwest), Chesterfield County (west), Columbus County, North Carolina (northwest).
Marlboro County Cities and Towns include Bennettsville, Blenheim, Clio, McColl, Tatum, Wallace. A Map of Marlboro County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Marlboro County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Marlboro County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marlboro county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Probate estate records and marriage licenses up to 1950 are on microfilm at the Marlboro County Public Library for genealogy research and public viewing. We recommend using the library due to little space to work in the vault at the Probate Judge's Office.
- Marlboro County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1787. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Marlboro County County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1786, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1785. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Marlboro County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Marlboro County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Marlboro County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marlboro County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Marlboro County, South Carolina Resources
- Marlborough Historical Society and Historical Museum
- Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission, 128 S. Marlboro Street, Bennettsville, SC 29512; phone: (843) 479-5624
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc.
- Marlboro County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Marlboro County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marlboro County
Marlboro County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Marlboro County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Marlboro County Records
- Marlboro Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- A history of Marlboro County : with traditions and sketches of numerous families
- A History of Marlboro County
- Marlboro County History