Greenwood County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Greenwood County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on March 2, 1897 from Abbeville County and Edgefield County. The county was named in honor of Greenwood Plantation, the home of John McGee, the county's largest landowner . Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Greenwood County Cities and Towns include Greenwood, Hodges, Ninety Six, Troy, Ware Shoals. A Map of Greenwood County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Greenwood County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Greenwood County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Greenwood county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Greenwood County Clerk of Probate CourtAlso has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1897. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Greenwood County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1897, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1897. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Greenwood County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Greenwood County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Greenwood County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Greenwood County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Greenwood County, South Carolina Resources
- Greenwood County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3468, Greenwood 29648
- Greenwood County Historical Society, 114 Live Oak Ct., Greenwood, SC 29649; Telephone: (864) 223-0398
- Cokesbury Historical & Recreation Commission, PO Box 206, Hodges, SC 29653; Telephone: (864) 223-7374
- The Museum
- Piedmont Historical Society
- Greenwood County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Greenwood County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greenwood County