Florence County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Florence County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on December 22, 1888 from Clarendon County, Darlington County, Marion County, and Williamsburg County. The county was named in honor of Florence Harllee, wife of Wilmington and Manchester Railroad founder W.W. Harllee. Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Florence County is bordered by Williamsburg County (south), Marion County (east), Dillon County (north), Marlboro County (north), Darlington County (northwest), Sumter County (west), Lee County (west), Clarendon County (southwest).
Florence County Cities and Towns include Coward, Effingham, Florence, Johnsonville, Lake City, Mars Bluff, Olanta, Pamplico, Quinby, Scranton, Timmonsville. A Map of Florence County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Florence County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Florence County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Florence county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Florence County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1889. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Florence County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1889, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1889. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Florence County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Florence County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Florence County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Florence County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Florence County, South Carolina Resources
- Florence County Historical Society, PO Drawer 150, Florence, SC 29503; phone: (843) 662-3258
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc.
- Florence Heritage Foundation, PO Box 1909, Florence, SC 295031909
- Mars Bluff Historical Society, 6701 E. Palmetto Street, Florence, SC 29506; phone: (843) 662-3351
- The Florence City-County Historical Commission, 6701 E. Palmetto St. Florence,S .C .29506; 843-687-5151
- Florence County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Florence County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Florence County
Florence County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Florence Morning News (Florence, South Carolina)
- The Morning News Review (Florence, South Carolina)
- Morning News (Florence, South Carolina)
- Florence County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Florence County Records
- Florence, South Carolina, Florence National Cemetery, 1865-2010
- Florence Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- Pigate’s of Florence Co
- A History of Florence County
- Florence County History