Colleton County, South Carolina Records
Colleton County is bordered by Orangeburg County (north), Dorchester County (northeast), Charleston County (east), Beaufort County (south), Hampton County (west), Allendale County (west), Bamberg County (northwest).
Colleton County Cities and Towns include Cottageville, Edisto Beach, Green Pond, Lodge, Round O, Ruffin, Smoaks, Walterboro, Williams, Jacksonboro. A Map of Colleton County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Colleton County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Colleton County, SC Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Colleton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Records were evacuated to Columbia in February 1865, where fire destroyed them. Deed books have suffered heavy losses. Virtually no pre-1865 records survived.
- Colleton County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1802. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Colleton County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1865. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Colleton County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1807 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Colleton County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Colleton County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Colleton County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Colleton County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Colleton County, South Carolina Resources
- Colleton County Genealogical Society, 125 Wade Hampton Avenue, Walterboro 29488
- Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society
- Old St. Bartholomew Chapter South Carolina Genealogical Society
- Colleton Museum
- Slave Relic Museum
- Colleton County, South Carolina Message Boards
Colleton County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Colleton County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Colleton County Records
- Colleton Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of Colleton County
- Colleton County History
- Colleton County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Colleton Co. SCGenweb
- Colleton County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Colleton County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830