Powell County, Montana Records
Powell County, Montana (Map It) was created on January 31, 1901 from Deer Lodge County. The county was named for Mount Powell, which in turn was named for John Wesley Powell (1834 - 1902), the early environmentalist and explorer.
Powell County Cities and Towns include Deer Lodge. A Map of Powell County, Montana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Powell County, Montana Courthouse Records
Powell County, MT Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Powell county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Land was added from counties Deer Lodge in 1903 and Missoula in 1915.
- Powell County Clerk and Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1907 and Land Records from 1901. The County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Powell County Clerk of District Court has Marriage / Divorce Records from 1901, Probate Records from 1901 and Court Records from 1901. The County Clerk of District Court is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
Powell County, Montana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Powell County, Montana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from late 1907 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: indexes from July 1943 to present. Copies of marriage and divorce records are available from the Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Montana Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services, 111 North Sanders, Rm 209, Helena, MT 59604-4210; (406) 444-2685
Powell County, Montana Resources
- Powell County Genealogical Society
- Powell County, Montana Message Boards
- Powell County, Montana Genealogy Forum
Powell County, Montana External Links
- Montana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Powell County, Montana Books - Amazon
- Powell Co., Montana - FindaGrave
- Powell County, Montana Links - Cyndi's List
- Montana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Historical Newspapers from Montana (1866–1922)
- Powell Co. MTGenweb
- Powell County, Montana Ancestry Database Collections
- Powell County, Montana Military Records