Woodson County, Kansas Records
Woodson County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Daniel Woodson (1824-1894), who served as secretary of Kansas Territory, 1854-1857, including four stints as acting governor. .
Woodson County Cities and Towns include Yates Center, Toronto, Neosho Falls.
A Map of Woodson County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Woodson County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Woodson County, KS Courthouse
The Woodson County Courthouse is located in Yates Center, Kansas. Neosho Falls was the original county seat (1858-1873). Kalida was the seat from 1873 to 1874, when it moved to Defiance. Yates Center became the seat after the election of 12 Sept 1876. Learn More About State of Kansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Woodson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Woodson County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1911, Marriage Records from 1860 and Death Records from 1885-1992. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Woodson County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1858. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Woodson County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1864 and Court Records from 1864. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Woodson County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Woodson County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Woodson County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Woodson County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Woodson County Kansas Genealogy Society, 608 North Prairie, Yates Center KS 66783
- Woodson County Historical Society, 208 W. Mary, Yates Center, KS 66783; Telephone Number: 620.625.2626
- Search for Woodson Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Woodson County, Kansas Message Boards
Woodson County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Woodson County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Woodson Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Woodson County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Woodson County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Woodson Co. KSGenweb
- Woodson County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Woodson County, Kansas Military Records