Doniphan County, Kansas Genealogy Guide
|Other KS Resources|
| KS Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KS Ancestor Records
KS Military Databases
KS Data Collections
KS Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Doniphan County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 30, 1855 (Organized on September 18, 1855) as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Col. Alexander William Doniphan (1808-1887), of Missouri, who commanded a regiment of cavalry during the Mexican War and pro-slavery sympathizer in "Bleeding Kansas". Learn More About State of Kansas History.
Doniphan County is bordered by Holt County, Missouri (north), Andrew County, Missouri (northeast), Buchanan County, Missouri, Atchison County (southwest), Brown County (west), Richardson County, Nebraska (northwest).
Doniphan County Cities and Towns include Bendena, Denton, Elwood, Highland, Severance, Troy, Wathena, White Cloud.
A Map of Doniphan County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Doniphan County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Doniphan County, KS Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Doniphan county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Doniphan County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1896-1911, Marriage Records from 1855 and Death Records from 1896-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Doniphan County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1856. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Doniphan County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1851 and Court Records from 1858. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Doniphan County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Doniphan County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Doniphan County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Doniphan County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Doniphan County Historical Society
- Search for Doniphan Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Doniphan County, Kansas Message Boards
- Doniphan County,Kansas Genealogy Forum
- Doniphan County, Kansas Mailing lists