Cloud County, Kansas Records
Cloud County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 27, 1860 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of William F. Cloud, Union general in the American Civil War who chiefly fought in Kansas and Missouri. Shirley County was named for William Shirley, governor of Massachusetts Colony from 1741 to 1756..
Cloud County Cities and Towns include Aurora, Clyde, Concordia, Glasco, Jamestown, Miltonvale, Rice.
A Map of Cloud County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cloud County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Cloud County, KS Courthouse
The Cloud County Courthouse is located in Concordia, Kansas. Shirley County was attached to Marshall County for judicial purposes prior to its organization. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Kansas Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cloud county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Cloud County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1910, Marriage Records from 1867 and Death Records from 1885-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Cloud County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1867. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Cloud County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1868. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Cloud County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Cloud County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cloud County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cloud County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Cloud County Genealogical Society
- Cloud County Historical Society
- Search for Cloud Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Cloud County, Kansas Message Boards
Cloud County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cloud County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Cloud Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Cloud County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Cloud County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Cloud Co. KSGenweb
- Cloud County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Cloud County, Kansas Military Records