Anderson County, Kansas Records
Anderson County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Joseph C. Anderson, Kansas territorial legislator and Border Ruffian during "Bleeding Kansas". .
Anderson County is bordered by Franklin County (north), Miami County (northeast), Linn County (east), Bourbon County (southeast), Allen County (south), Woodson County (southwest), Coffey County (west).
Anderson County Cities and Towns include Centerville, Colony, Garnett, Greeley, Kincaid, Welda, Westphalia.
A Map of Anderson County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Anderson County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Anderson County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Anderson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Anderson County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1892-94, Marriage Records from 1857-1913 and Death Records from 1892-94. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Anderson County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1857. Phone: 785-448-3715 The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Anderson County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1855 and Court Records from 1860. Phone: 785-448-6886 The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Anderson County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Anderson County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Anderson County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Anderson County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Anderson County Historical Society
- Anderson County Genealogical Society, PO Box 194, Garnett, KS 66032-0194
- Search for Anderson Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Anderson County, Kansas Message Boards
Anderson County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Anderson County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Anderson Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Anderson County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Anderson County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Anderson Co. KSGenweb
- Anderson County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Anderson County, Kansas Military Records