Henry County, Georgia Genealogy Guide
|Other GA Resources|
| GA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
GA Ancestor Records
GA Military Databases
GA Data Collections
GA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Henry County, Georgia (Map It) was created on May 15, 1821 from Creek Cession of 1821. Portions of Henry County were used to create the following counties: Newton County (1821), DeKalb County (1822), Butts County (1825), Spalding County (1851), Clayton County (1858), and Rockdale County (1870). Henry County was named in honor of Patrick Henry (1736 - 99), prominent lawyer, orator, and a Founding Father of the United States. Learn More About State of Georgia History.
A Map of Henry County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Henry County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Henry County, GA Courthouse
The Henry County Courthouse is located in McDonough, Georgia. The County Courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1824 and Some records were destroyed by Sherman's men, 1864. Learn More About State of Georgia Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Henry County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1822 and Court Records from 1822. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1822 and Probate Records from 1822.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Henry County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Henry County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Henry County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Henry County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Henry County, Georgia Resources
- Genealogical Society of Henry and Clayton Counties, Inc.
- Henry County, Georgia Message Boards
- Henry County, Georgia Genealogy Forum
- Henry County, Georgia Mailing lists