Indian River County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Indian River County, Florida (Map It) was created on May 30, 1925 from St. Lucie County. Indian River County was named for the Indian River Lagoon, which flows through the county. Learn More About State of Florida History
Indian River County Cities and Towns include Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, Orchid.
A Map of Indian River County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Indian River Co. Historical Events:
- Pedro Menendez de Aviles and his soldiers marched through this area, November, 1565.
- Jonathan Dickensen and others shipwrecked at Hobe Sound in September, 1696, passed through present Indian River County early in October, 1696.
- This region was not really settled until after the Civil War. It is now a properous citrus and truck growing region and has great sub-tropic beauty.
- McKee Jungle Gardens, in this county, attracts many out-of-state visitors.
Indian River County, Florida Courthouse Records
Indian River County, FL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Indian River county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Indian River County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1925, Land Records from 1925, Probate Records from 1925 and Court Records from 1925. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Indian River County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Indian River County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Indian River County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Indian River County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Indian River County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Indian River County Historical Society
- Indian River Genealogical Society
- Julian W. Lowenstein Archive Center & Genealogy Department
- Sebastian Area Historical Society
- Vero Heritage, Inc.
- Indian River County, Florida Message Boards
- Indian River County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Indian River County, Florida Mailing lists