It is a good idea to to familiarize yourself with just about any repository in Oregon which you might check out by contacting to the proper archive or library before you proceed.
The majority of, if not all, Oregon repositories contain printed resources that present its collections and research policy.
Oregon archives and historical associations also provide Online websites that offer identical resources. Some actually include down loadable databases for some or parts within their collections.
- Oregon State Archives, 800 Summer St. NE, Salem, OR 97310. The “Oregon Historical County Records Guide” database on its website provides access to a large number of original sources in its collections.
- Klamath County Museum, 1451 Main St., Klamath Falls, OR 97601
- Linn County Historical Museum, PO Box 607, 101 Park Ave, Brownsville, OR 97327
- Morrow County Museum, P.O. Box 1153, Heppner, Oregon 97836; (541) 676-5524
- Umatilla Museum, 911 Sixth Street, P.O. Box 975, Umatilla, OR 97882; (541) 922-0209
- Wasco County Museum Library (Discovery Center), 5000 Discovery Dr., The Dalles 97058
- Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301-3950
- University of Oregon, Knight Library, 2d Floor North, 15th & Kincaid St., Eugene, OR 97403
Genealogical publications provide you with plenty of sources of information, they usually are ignored by genealogy researchers and genealogist in seeking for family history. The majority of regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals that may contain records associated with the region or surrounding area they support. Sometimes these publications carry articles concerning records which are not obtainable elsewhere.
The periodical collections at the Oregon State Library and at the Oregon Historical Society include publications of local and county historical societies in Oregon.
- Oregon Historical Quarterly, published by the Oregon Historical Society with an online index on the society’s website
- The Bulletin, published by the Genealogical Forum of Oregon, Inc
- The Oregon Genealogical Society Quarterly, published by the Oregon Genealogical Society.
- Miscellaneous pages from the Oregon Genealogical Society newsletter (search.ancestry.com)
Oregon Historical & Genealogical Societies
For nearly virtually every Oregon there is a Oregon genealogical society, a Oregon genealogical council, or both. Together with their own work, Oregon-level groups from time to time help synchronize the efforts of local societies from the Oregon. Their specific publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those published by way of the local societies.
Regional and State
- Oregon Historical Society, 1200 SW Park Ave., Portland, OR 97203
- Genealogical Forum of Oregon, Inc., P.O. Box 42567, Portland, OR 97242-0567
- Oregon Genealogical Society, 955 Oak Alley, Eugene, OR 97440-2306
- The Oregon GenWeb Project and the Genealogical Council of Oregon provide information on statewide genealogical organization.
- Southern Oregon Historical Society, 106 Central Ave., Medford, OR 97501
County, Township and City
- Astorica Heritage Association, 1618 Exchange St, Astoria 97103-3615
- Bandon Historical Society, 270 Fillmore Ave Se, Bandon 97411-9470
- Bend Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 8254, Bend 97708
- Benton County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1646, Philomath 97370
- Benton County Historical Society, 1101 Main Street, Philomath 97370
- Benton County History Ctr, 110 Nw 3rd St, Corvallis 97330-4701
- Big Butte Historical Society, 432 Pine St, Butte Falls 97522
- Blue Mountain Genealogical Society, PO Box 1801, Pendleton, OR 97801
- Brooks Historical Society, 3995 Brooklane Rd Ne, Salem 97303-9728
- Canby Heritage Association, 888 Ne 4th Ave, Canby 97013-2300
- Cannon Beach Historical Soc, 1387 S Spruce, Cannon Beach 97110
- Cascade Locks Historical Society, 1 Nw Portage Rd, Cascade Locks 97014
- Chetco Valley Historical Society, 15461 Museum Rd, Brookings 97415-9519
- Clackamas County Family History Society, P.O. Box 995, Oregon City 97045
- Clackamas County Historical Society and Museum, 211 Tumwater Drive, Oregon City, OR 97045;  655-5574
- Clatsop Co. Historical Society 1618 Exchange, Astoria OR 97103, (503) 325-2563
- Clatsop Co. Genealogical Society, c/o The Astoria Public Library, 450 10th Street, Astoria, OR 97103; (503) 325-7323
- Columbia Gorge Genealogy Society, 722 Court Street, The Dalles 97058
- Coos Bay Genealogical Forum, P.O. Box 1067, North Bend 97459
- Coos County Historical Society, 1220 Sherman Ave, North Bend 97459-3666
- Cottage Grove Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 388, Cottage Grove 97424
- Crook County Genealogical Society, 246 N. Main St., Prineville, OR 97754; (541) 447-3715 Bowman Museum, (541) 447-5449 Librarian
- County Historical Society, 211 Tumwater Dr, Oregon City 97045-2900
- Creswell Historical Society, 55 N 5th St, Creswell 97426-9636
- Curry County Historical Society, 920 S Ellensberg Ave, Gold Beach 97444-9705
- Deschutes County Historical Society, P.O. Box 5252, Bend 97708
- David Douglas Historical Society, 1500 SE 130th Ave., Portland, OR 97233; (503) 254-0797)
- East Linn Historical Society, 746 Long St, Sweet Home 97386-3303
- Fairview Rockwood Wilkes Historical Society, 17111 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97230; (503) 261-8078
- Ft. Klamath Historical Society, Ft. Klamath 97626
- Genealogical Council Of Oregon, P.O. Box 2639, Salem 97308-2639
- Genealogical Forum Of Oregon, P.O. Box 42567, Portland 97242-0567
- Genealogical Society of Douglas County, Inc., Douglas County Courthouse, Room 105B, 1036 SE Douglas, Roseburg OR 97470; 541.440.6178
- Genealogical Society Of Washington County Oregon, P.O. Box 2123, 155 N 1st Ave., Room 140 (First and Main) Hillsboro, OR 97123
- Gilliam County Historical Society, Highway 19 at Burns Park, P.O. Box 377, Condon, Oregon, 97823; (503) 384-4233
- Gold Hill Historical Society, P.O. Box 26, Gold Hill 97525
- Grant County Oregon Genealogical Society, 281 W. Main, John Day, Oregon 97845
- Gresham Pioneer Group, 410 N Main Ave, Gresham 97030-7212
- Harney County Historical Society, 18 West D St, Burns 97720-1226; 541-573-5618
- Hillsboro Historical Society, c/o 337 NE 2nd Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
- Historical Oregon Information Services, 2549 Cubit St., Eugene 97402
- Hood River County Historical Society & Museum, 300 E Port Marina Drive, Hood River, Oregon 97031; 541.386.6772
- Independence Heritage Association, 112 S 3rd St, Independence 97351-2035
- Jefferson County Museum and Historical Society, 34 SE “D” Street, PO Box 647, Madras, OR 97741; 541-408-2740
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of Oregon, La Pine Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1081, La Pine 97739
- Josephine County Historical Society, 512 SW 5th Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526; (541) 479-7827
- Klamath Basin Genealogical Society, c/o Klamath County Library, 126 South 3rd St., Klamath Falls, OR 97601
- Lake County Historical Society, 35 S. “G” St., PO Box 48, Lakeview, OR 97630-1721
- Lane County Historical Society and Museum, 740 W 13th Ave, Eugene 97402-4010; (541) 682-4242
- Lebanon Genealogical Society, 626 Second Avenue, Lebanon 97355
- Lincoln County Historical Society, /Oregon Coast History Center, 545 SW Ninth Street, Newport, Oregon 97365; Phone: (541) 265-7509
- Linn County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1222 , 101 Park Ave, Brownsville 97327; (541)791-1618
- Malheur County Historical Society, 1186 SW Sixth Ave, Ontario, OR 97914-3310
- Multnomah Historical Association, PO Box 19785, 2929 SW Multnomah Blvd., Portland, OR 97219
- Monteith Society, 518 2nd Ave Sw, Albany 97321-2239
- Oakridge Heritage Ctr, 76433 Pine Street, Oakridge 97463
- Oregon Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10306, Eugene 97440-2306
- Oregon Historic Cemeteries Assocation, Inc., P.O. Box 802, Boring 97009-0802 ,
- Polk County Historical Society, PO Box 67, Monmouth, OR 97361; 503 623-6251
- Rogue Valley Genealogical Society and Jackson County Genealogy Library, 3405 South Pacific Hwy., P.O.Box 1468, Medford, Oregon, 97535-1468; (541) 512-2340
- Scio Historical Society, 39004 Ne 1st Ave, Scio 97374
- Seaside Historical Society, 570 Necanicum Dr, Seaside 97138-6040
- Sherman County Historical Society, 200 Dewey Street, P.O. Box 173, Moro, Oregon 97039; 541-565-3232
- South Umpqua Historical Society, 421 W 5th St, Canyonville 97417
- Southern Oregon Historical Society, 106 N. Central Avenue, Medford 97501
- St. Paul Historical Society, 20310 Main Street Ne, St. Paul 97137
- Tillamook Genealogy Study Group, 6450 Curl Rd., Tillamook, OR 97141
- Talent Historical Society, 206 E Main St. # C, Talent 97540
- Umatilla County Historical Society, 108 SW Frazer, PO Box 253, Pendleton, OR 97801; (541) 276-0012
- Union County Historical Society, P.O. Box 30, Imbler, OR 97841
- Wasco County Historical Scty, 300 W 13th St, The Dalles 97058-2010
- Washington County Historical Society, 17677 Nw Springville Rd, Portland 97229-1743
- The Willamette Heritage Center at The Mill, 1313 Mill St SE, Salem, OR 97301; 503.585.7012 ext 256
- Willamette Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2083, Salem 97308
- Wilsonville-boones Ferry Historical Society, 8200 Sw Wilsonville Road, Wilsonville 97070
- Yamhill County Genealogical Society, PO Box 568, McMinnville, OR 97128
- Yamhill County Historical Society, PO Box 484, 605 Market St., Lafayette, OR 97127; 503.864.2308
Religious and Ethnic
Oregon Newspapers & Publications
Oregon Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all sorts of useful information and facts about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and concerning all sorts of genealogical records and repositories. They enable you to uncover a variety of details about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These types of sources can frequently bolster public records and provide facts that is not recorded someplace else. Here, you can study more pertaining to your ancestor’s possible daily activities by setting them in the context of their time.
The University of Oregon’s Knight Library has the biggest collection of Oregon newspapers on microfilm and there is an online index to that collection available. The Oregon Historical Society is home to the second biggest collection.
- Oregon Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- Oregon Historical Books (1749 – 1900) (genealogybank.com) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Oregon ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company (genealogical.com)
Newspapers – Oregon newspapers can furnish all kinds of evidence about historical occasions, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and considerably more.
- Oregon Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Oregon (1868–1921) (genealogybank.com) Quickly find names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and other items published in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. New content added monthly!
- Oregon Newspaper List (usnpl.com)