It is recommended to acquaint oneself with virtually any repositories in Rhode Island which you might drop by, communicating with to the appropriate archive or library in advance.
Many, if not all, Rhode Island repositories include printed materials that introduce its collections together with research policy.
Rhode Island archives and historical organizations likewise have Online sites that supply equivalent information and facts. Several even have down-loadable lists for some or parts of their collections.
Rhode Island Archives
- National Archives – North East Region, Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center, 380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, Massachusetts, 02452-6399; Phone: (781) 663-0130; Fax: (781) 663-0154; E-mail: email@example.com . Serves Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- Rhode Island State Archives, 337 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903; (401) 222-2353, FAX (401) 222-3199
- Report on the archives of Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- Inventory of the town and city archives of Rhode Island. (search.ancestry.com)
- Providence City Archives, City Hall, 25 Dorrance Street, Providence, RI 02903; (401) 421-7740; Early Providence Vital Records
Rhode Island Museums
Rhode Island Libraries
- Rhode Island State Library, State House, 2nd floor, Providence, RI 02903; Phone: (401) 222-2473
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library, 121 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02906; TEL: (401) 273-8107
- East Greenwich Free Library, 82 Pierce Street East, Greenwich, RI 02818
- Lincoln Public Library, Old River Road, Lincoln, RI 02865, Phone: (401) 333-2422
- Louttit Memorial Library, 274 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI 02817 Phone: (401) 397-3434
- Robert H Champlin Library, 1043 Main Street, West Warwick, RI 02893, Phone: (401) 828-3750
- Warwick Public Library, 600 Sandy Lane, Warwick, RI 02886
Rhode Island Periodicals
Genealogical publications offer many sources of information, they could be overlooked by family history and genealogy researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history. Most regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies publish periodicals that may contain records relating to the region or area they serve. Usually these publications carry articles concerning records that aren’t offered someplace else.
- Rhode Island Roots – is the quarterly of the Rhode Island Genealogical Society. Transcriptions of early Rhode Island records and family genealogies are the focus of its material.
- Rhode Island Genealogical Register – is an independent journal (P.O. Box 585, East Princeton, Massachusetts 01517) devoted to publishing original source material for Rhode Island.
- The Newport Historical Magazine (1880-84)
- Rhode Island Historical Society Collections (1827-1914)
- Rhode Island Historical Society Publications (1893-1900)
- The Rhode Island Historical Magazine (1844-87)
- Rhode Island Historical Tracts (1877-96)
- Bibliography of Rhode Island : a catalogue of books and other publications relating to the state of Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
Rhode Island Historical & Genealogical Societies
For nearly every single state there’s a genealogical society, genealogical council, or both. In addition to their own work, Rhode Island groups in some cases help coordinate the efforts of area societies from the Rhode Island. Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those provided through the area societies
Regional and State
- League of Rhode Island Historical Societies, 39 Forsythia Lane, Cranston, RI 02920;(401) 942-3015
- Rhode Island Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 433, Greenville Public Library, 573 Putnam Pike, Greenville, RI 02828
- Rhode Island Historical Society, 110 Benevolent St, Providence 02906-3103
- Rhode Island Family History Center, Mailing address: 136 Thompson Pike, Dayville, CT 06241; Street address: 1000 Narragansett Parkway, Warwick, RI 02888; TEL: (401) 463-8150
County, Township and City
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island, 12 Sanderson Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 949-5454
- Barrington Preservation Society, P.O. Box 178, 281 County Road, Barrington, RI 02806; TEL: (401) 247-3770
- Blackstone Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 125, 1873 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865; TEL: (401) 725-2847
- Bristol Historical And Preservation Society Library & Museum, 48 Court Street, Bristol, RI 02809; Phone: (401) 253-7223
- Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society, Box 93, Old Bridgeton School, 16 Laurel Hill Avenue, Pascoag, RI 02859; TEL: (401) 568-8534
- Charlestown Historical Society, P.O. Box 100, 4417B Old Post Road, Charlestown, RI 02813; 401-364-1838
- Coventry Historical Society, PO Box 401, Coventry, RI 02816
- Cranston Historical Society, 1351 Cranston St, Cranston, RI 02920; ph: 401-944-9226
- East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society, Old Kent County Jail, 110 King Street, East Greenwich, RI 02818; TEL: (401) 826-0178
- East Providence Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 4774, Hunts Mills Road, East Providence, RI 02916; TEL: (401) 438-1750
- Elizabeth J. Johnson Pawtucket History Research Center, 30 Fruit St., Pawtucket, RI 02860; TEL (401) 725-2490
- Foster Preservation Society, Box 51, Foster Police Station, Howard Hill Road, Foster, RI 02825; TEL: (401) 647-2178
- Glocester Heritage Society, 1181 Main St., P.O. Box 269, Chepachet, RI 02814; 401-568-8967
- Historical Society of Smithfield, 220 Stillwater Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 231-7363
- Hopkinton Historical Society, PO Box 475, Ashaway, RI 02804; TEL: (401) 337-2219
- Jamestown Historical Society, Post Offcie Box 156, Jamestown, RI, 02835; 401-423-7202
- Johnston Historical Society, 101 Putnam Pike Johnston, RI 02919; TEL: (401) 231-3380
- Little Compton Historical Society, PO Box 577, Little Compton, RI 02837; (401) 635-4035
- Massasoit Historical Association, Post Office Box 203, Warren, Rhode Island 02885
- Middletown Historical Society, PO Box 4196 Middletown, RI 02840-0496
- Newport Historical Society Headquarters & Resource Center, 82 Touro Street, Newport, RI 02840; Tel (401) 846-0813
- North Smithfield Heritage Association, c/o John J. Faricy, President. 802 Pound Hill Road, North Smithfield, RI 02896; Street address: 190 School Street, North Smithfield, RI 02896; TEL: (401) 766-0701
- Pawtuxet Valley Preservation and Historical Society, 1679 Main Street, West Warwick, RI 02893; Phone: (401) 821-9726
- Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, Old Washington County Jail, 2636 Kingstown Road, Kingston, RI 02881; TEL: (401) 783-1328
- Portsmouth Historical Society, 870 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871; Phone:(401) 683-9178
- Preservation Society of Newport County, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840; TEL: (401) 847-1000
- Rhode Island Labor History Society, 36 Upper College Rd. Hart House, Kingston RI 02881
- Richmond Historical Society, Clark Memorial Library, Junction Rtes. 138 & 112, Richmond, RI 02898; TEL: (401) 539-7676
- Warwick Historical Society, 25 Roger Williams Circle , Warwick, RI 02888
- Western Rhode Island Civic Historical Society, One Station Street , Coventry, RI 02816
- West Greenwich Historical Preservation Society, Loutitt Library, 274 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI 02817; TEL: (401) 397-4311
- Westerly Historical Society, P.O. Box 91, Westerly, RI 02891
- Woonsocket Historical and Preservation Society, 42 South Main Street, Garden Level, Woonsocket, RI 02895; TEL: (401) 356-0067
- Rhode Island Mayflower Descendants, PO Box 24, East Greenwich, RI 02818
Religious and Ethnic
- Rhode Island Black Heritage Society, 65 Weybosset Street, 2nd floor, Suite 29, Providence, RI 02903; TEL: (401) 751-3490
- Rhode Island Jewish Historical Association, 130 Sessions Street, Providence, RI 02906; TEL: (401) 331-1360
- American-french Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2113, Pawtucket 02861-0113
Rhode Island Newspapers & Publications
Rhode Island Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) consist of all sorts of invaluable information related to specific ancestors, entire lineages and families, places in time, and concerning all kinds of genealogical records and repositories. They enable you to uncover a variety of information and facts about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These different kinds of sources can regularly bolster public records and give details that is not documented someplace else. Here, one can learn even more pertaining to your ancestor’s potential daily activities by setting them in the context of their time.
The Gazette was the first newspaper published in Rhode Island. The first issue came out in 1732 in Newport. The state’s newspapers had many death and marriage notices for former residents who moved south or west because it was a popular starting point for those migrating to new areas.
The official published newspaper repository for the state of Rhode Island is the Rhode Island Historical Society. However, many other repositories around the state have vital record abstracts from the various newspapers. There are also some card indexes and abstracts, including a Providence Journal and Providence Bulletin one, located at the Rhode Island Historical Society.
There are several collections of business paperwork, personal papers, and manuscripts located in city and town libraries across Rhode Island. One of the largest is Brown University, John Hay Library, 1 Prospect St., Providence, RI 02912. That collection includes a lot of information from the 1800s. Two of the other largest collections in the state are at the Newport Historical Society and the Rhode Island Historical Society.
- Rhode Island Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- Rhode Island Historical Books (1749 – 1900) (genealogybank.com) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Rhode Island ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company (genealogical.com)
Newspapers – Rhode Island newspapers can provide all types of ideas about historical events, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and much more.
- Rhode Island Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1808 – 1904) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million publications, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and also other items printed in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. All new articles and other content added each month!
- Rhode Island Newspaper List (usnpl.com)