It is very good to acquaint your self with any repository in Idaho that you choose to might visit by making contact with to the best suited archive or library before you go.
Most, if not all, Idaho repositories contain written and published content that present its collections and also research policy.
Idaho archives and historical associations also have On-line web sites that supply the same details. Quite a few actually possess down loadable databases for some or parts of their collections.
- The National Archives – Pacific Alaska Region – 6125 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115-7999; (Archival Research Room, Microfilm Research Room, Records Center Research Room)
- Idaho State Digital Archives Home
- Idaho State Library, 325 W. State St., Boise, ID 83702
- Idaho Library Directory is an extensive website to the libraries in the state. This includes current information on public, academic, and private libraries and links to these library websites.
- Brigham Young University–Idaho, MacKay Library, 525 S. Center St., Rexburg, ID 83460
Genealogical magazines will offer you plenty of sources of information, they usually are dismissed by genealogy researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history. Most regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records concerning the region or locality they operate. Often these publications provide articles with regards to records that aren’t readily available elsewhere.
- Snake River Echoes – The Snake River Echoes began as a quarterly in 1971 under the name of The Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society Quarterly.
Idaho Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every single Idaho there’s a Idaho genealogical society, a Idaho genealogical council, or both. Along with their own work, Idaho-level groups quite often help synchronize the efforts of local societies from the Idaho. Their particular publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those provided by the area societies
Regional and State
- Idaho State Historical Society, Idaho State Archives Research Center, 2205 Old Penitentiary Road, Boise, ID 83712
- Idaho Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1854, Boise, ID 83701-1854
- Friends of the Idaho Genealogy Library, Idaho Genealogy Library, 459 N. 4th St., Boise, ID 83702
County, Township and City
- Adams County Historical Society, 101 South Commercial Ave., New Meadows, Idaho 83654
- Bannock County Historical Society / Museum, 3000 Avenue of the Chiefs, Alvord Loop, Pocatello, ID 83204; Telephone: (208) 233-0434
- Bingham County Historical Society, 3 NW Main Street, Blackfoot, Idaho 83221; Office: (208) 785-9906
- Blaine County Historical Society / Museum, 213 North Main Street, Hailey, ID 83333 ; (208) 788-1801
- Bonner County Genealogical Society, PO Box 221, Kootenai, Idaho 83840
- Bonner County Historical Society & Museum, 611 South Ella Avenue, Sandpoint, Idaho 83864; (208) 263-2344
- Bonneville County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1784, 200 N Eastern Avenue, Idaho Falls, ID 83402-4029
- Bonneville County Heritage Association
- Boundary County Historical Society / Museum, 7229 Main, P.O. Box 808, Bonners Ferry, ID 83805; (208) 267-7720
- Caldwell Genealogical Group, 3504 South Illinois, Caldwell ID 83605
- Camas County Historical Society, General Delivery Fairfield, ID 83327
- Canyon County Historical Society, P.O. Box 595, 1200 Front St Nampa, ID 83651; (208) 467-7611
- Caribou County Historical Society, 450 N 730 E, Soda Springs, ID 83276-1326; Phone: (208) 547-4722
- Cassia County Historical Society / Museum, PO Box 331, E Main & Highland Ave, Burley 83318
- Clearwater County Historical Society / Museum, P.O. Box 1454, 315 College Ave, Orofino, ID 83544; Phone:(208) 476-5033
- Eagle Rock Railroad Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 2685, Idaho Falls, ID 83403-2685
- Elmore County Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 204, 180 South 3rd East, Mountain Home, ID 83647
- Fremont County Historical Society, St. Anthony ID 83445
- Glenns Ferry Historical Society / Museum, 211 W Cleveland Ave, Glenns Ferry ID 83623
- Gooding County Historical Society, P.O. Box 580, 273 Euskadi Lane, Gooding, Idaho 83330
- Hagerman Valley Historical Society / Museum , P.O. Box 86, 100 S State, Hagerman ID 83332; Phone: 208-837-6288
- Idaho City Historical Society, 402 Montgomery St., Idaho City, ID 83631-4176
- Idaho County Chapter (Igs), 215 West North, Grangeville ID 83530
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 118 W 1st S, Rigby, ID 83442; (208) 745-8423
- Jerome County Historical Society, P.O. Box 50, 220 N Lincoln Ave, Jerome 83338-2325; Phone: 208-324-5641
- Kamiah Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 322, Kamiah ID 83536
- Ketchum-Sun Valley Historical Society, 180 1st Ave E, Ketchum, ID 83340; Phone:(208) 726-8118
- Kootenai County Genealogical Society, 8385 North Government Way, Hayden ID 83835
- Latah County Historical Society, 327 East Second Street, Moscow, Idaho 83843; telephone number is 208-882-1004
- Lemhi County Historical Society / Museum, 210 Main St., Salmon 83467-4111; (208) 756-3342
- Lewis County Historical Society, Po Box 373, Kamiah, ID 83536
- Lincoln County Historical Society, 102 South Rail Street East, Shoshone, Idaho 83352; (208) 886-7787
- Magic Valley Chapter (Igs), Route 2, 770 South River Drive, Heyburn ID 83336
- Minidoka County Historical Society, 99 East Baseline, Rupert ID 83350; Phone: (208)436-0336
- Nez Perce County Historical Society (Luna House), 0306 Third Street, Lewiston 83501; Phone: (208) 743-2535
- Nez Perce Historical Society, P.O. Box 86, Nez Perce ID 83542
- Old Ft. Boise Historical Society, Parma Rd And Hwy 95, Parma, ID, 83660; (208) 722-5115
- Owyhee County Historical Society, 17085 Basey St, PO Box 67, Murphy, ID 83650; PH (208) 495-2319
- Payette County Historical Society / Museum, P.O. Box 476, 90 S. 9th Street, Payette 83661; call: (208)642-4883
- Pocatello Branch Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 4272, 156 South 6th Avenue, Pocatello ID 83201
- Shoshone County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 183, Kellogg ID 83837
- Snake River Heritage Center, 2295 Paddock Ave, Weiser, ID 83672; Phone:(208) 549-0205
- South Bannock County Historical Society, 110 E Main, Lava Hot Springs, Idaho 83246
- South Custer County Historical Society, P.O. Box 355, Mackay ID 83251
- Spirit Lake Historical Society, P.O. Box 1186, 6042 W Maine St, Spirit Lake, ID 83869; 208-623-2110
- Stanley Heritage Association, Highway 75, Stanley ID 83278
- Treasure Valley Chapter (IGS), 325 West State Street, Boise ID 83702
- Twin Rivers Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 386, Lewiston, ID 83501
- Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society, 51 N Center St, Rexburg, ID 83440-1539; Phone (208) 356-9101
- Valley County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 10, 105 N. Front Street, Cascade, Idaho 83611; Phone: (208) 382-4757
- Valley County Historical Society, 13131 Farm to Market Rd, Donnelly, ID 83615; Phone:(208) 325-8628
- Wood River Historical Society, P.O. Box 552, Ketchum ID 83340
Religious and Ethnic
Research in Idaho Newspapers & Publications
Idaho Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all sorts of invaluable information regarding individual ancestors, entire lineages and families, places in time, and concerning all types of genealogical records and repositories. They let you identify a abundance of information and facts about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These types of sources can regularly supplement public records and offer you information that is not documented someplace else. Here, one can learn a lot more regarding your ancestor’s potential daily activities by setting them in the context of their time.
All extant newspapers for the state of Idaho have been placed on microfilm and can be found at the Idaho State Historical Society. An inventory of all of those holdings can be found on the Idaho State Historical Society’s website. The inventory is organized according to city, title, county, and date. The inter-library loan program assures that most of the collection is available to researchers.
- Idaho Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- Idaho Historical Books (1749 – 1900) (genealogybank.com) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Idaho ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company (genealogical.com)
Newspapers – Idaho newspapers can provide all types of evidence about historical events, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and considerably more.
- Idaho Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Idaho (1864–1922) (genealogybank.com) Rapidly identify names and key phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices as well as other items written in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. New content added on a monthly basis!
- Idaho Newspaper List (usnpl.com)