Yankton County, South Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other SD Resources|
| SD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SD Ancestor Records
SD Military Databases
SD Data Collections
SD Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Yankton County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on April 10, 1862 from Unorganized territory. The county was named for the Yankton Sioux Native Americans. Learn More About State of South Dakota History
Yankton County Cities and Towns include Gayville, Lesterville, Mission Hill, Utica, Valleyview, Volin, Yankton.
Yankton County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Yankton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. The state archives has probate records (1877—1909); wills (1870—1909); notary records (1877—1909); and judgment books (1898—1907).
- Yankton County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1889 and Land Records from 1862?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Yankton County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1862? and Court Records from 1862?.
Yankton County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870 (as Dakota Territory), 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Yankton County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Yankton County, South Dakota Resources
- Yankton Genealogical Society, Yankton Community Library, 515 Walnut St., Yankton, SD 57078
- Yankton County Historical Society 610 Summit, Yankton, SD 57078; (605) 665-3898
- Yankton County, South Dakota Message Boards
- Yankton County, South Dakota Genealogy Forum