Lawrence County, South Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other SD Resources|
| SD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SD Ancestor Records
SD Military Databases
SD Data Collections
SD Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lawrence County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on January 11, 1873 from Unorganized territory. The county was named in honor of John Lawrence (1839 - 1889), territorial legislator. Learn More About State of South Dakota History
Lawrence County Cities and Towns include Central City, Deadwood, Lead, North Spearfish, Spearfish, Saint Onge, Whitewood.
Lawrence County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lawrence county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Lawrence County courthouse was destroyed in the great fire of 1879, along with all the records. The state archives has probate records and wills (1877—1935); guardianship and adoption records (1910—58); marriage records (1879—1956); and circuit court journals (1891—1930).
- Lawrence County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1880 and Land Records from 1879. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Lawrence County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1879 and Court Records from 1879.
Lawrence County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1880, 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lawrence County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Lawrence County, South Dakota Resources
Lawrence County, South Dakota External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Dakota (1861–2002)
- Lawrence County, South Dakota Books - Amazon
- Lawrence County, SD Census QuickFacts
- Lawrence County Census Records
- Lawrence Co., South Dakota - FindaGrave
- Lawrence County, South Dakota Links - Cyndi's List