Bennett County, South Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other SD Resources|
| SD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SD Ancestor Records
SD Military Databases
SD Data Collections
SD Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Bennett County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on March 09, 1909 from Lugenbeel County, Shannon County, Washabaugh County, and Washington County. The county was named in honor of Granville G. Bennett, justice of the Supreme Court for the Dakota Territory. Learn More About State of South Dakota History
Bennett County Cities and Towns include Allen, Martin, Vetal, Harrington, Tuthill.
Bennett County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bennett county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Bennett County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1912 and Land Records from 1907. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Bennett County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1912 and Court Records from 1912.
Bennett County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
Bennett County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961
Bennett County, South Dakota Resources
- Bennett County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 487, Martin, South Dakota 57551
- Bennett County Historical Society, HWC #1, Box 5, Martin, South Dakota 57551
- Bennett County, South Dakota Message Boards
- Bennett County, South Dakota Genealogy Forum