Ward County, North Dakota Records
Ward County, North Dakota (Map It) was created on April 14, 1885 from Bottineau County, Renville County (old) and Stevens County (old). The county was named in honor of Dakota territorial legislator Mark Ward (1844 - 1902)..
Ward County Cities and Towns include Minot, Kenmare, Burlington, Surrey, Berthold, Sawyer, Des Lacs, Carpio, Makoti, Ryder, Douglas, Donnybrook.
Ward County Townships include Afton, Anna, Baden, Berthold, Brillian, Burlington, Burt, Cameron, Carbondale, Carpio, Denmark, Des Lacs, Elmdale, Eureka, Evergreen, Foxholm, Freedom, Gasman, Greely, Greenbush, Harrison, Hiddenwood, Hilton, Iota Flat, Kenmare, Kirkelie, Linton, Lund, Mandan, Margaret, Maryland, Mayland, McKinley, Nedrose, New Prairie, Newman, Orlien, Passport, Ree, Rice Lake, Rolling Green, Ruthville, Ryder, St. Marys, Sauk Prairie, Sawyer, Shealy, Spencer, Spring Lake, Sundre, Surrey, Tatman, Tolgen, Torning, Vang, Waterford, Willis. A Map of Ward County, North Dakota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ward County, North Dakota Courthouse Records
Ward County, ND Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ward county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Ward County Register of Deeds / Recorder has Land Records from 1885. The County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Ward County Clerk of Courts has Marriage Records from 1888, Probate Records from 1885 and Court Records from 1885. The County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
Ward County, North Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940, Eastern Cherokee - 1908-1910
- Territorial and State Censuses: 1885, 1915, 1925
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ward County, North Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1870 to present. The years 1870 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Marriage Records: from June 1958 to present
- Death Records: from 1893 to present. Years from 1894 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Locations: North Dakota Division of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: ND Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 301, Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
Ward County, North Dakota Resources
- Ward County Historical Society
- Dakota Territory Air Museum
- Lake County Historical Society, P. O. Box 83, Kenmare, ND 58746 , 701-385-4248
- Makoti Threshing Association, P. O. Box 11, Makoti, ND 58756-0011, 701-726-5698 or 701-758-2473
- Mouse River Loop Genealogy Society
- Railroad Museum of Minot
- Ryder Historical Society, 20510 184th St. S.W., Ryder, ND 58779, 701-758-2527
- Scandinavian Heritage Association
- Ward County, North Dakota Message Boards